A week or so ago, Katie (age 10) requested a couple of books on Rosa Parks from the library. I don't know exactly what prompted her to choose them, but she did. I managed to get A's and B's in history, however, my memory of history is not that great. Katie seems to have this unbelievable memory...like Jim (and Jim is a history major and is truly enjoys history btw). Katie and I discussed Rosa Parks and the bus episode at dinner. I recalled incorrectly that she had been asked to move from the front to the back of the bus. Katie corrected me and said that she had been asked to give up her seat in the back of the bus because too many white folks had come on. She then pulled out a book ("By Rosa Parks, so it has got to be true Mom.") and read me the relevant information. That is so cool! My own daughter teaches me! Li had been listening and asked some questions then and later that night. Our conversation meandered to the big dipper and we looked for it in the sky. We explained to Li that the big dipper, also called "the drinking gourd," was followed by the slaves to freedom because it points to Polaris, the north star. I remembered that we had a Famous Childhood of Americans book on Harriet Tubman and pulled it out to read in bed. We snuggled in bed and began to read it. Li, who was interested, yet sleepy, asked many questions. We discussed various ethics and values of people then and now. It even led to us dicussing child labor and the labor of poor folk in various countries. I love learning this way!
2/11/08 - There is a great "An I Can Read Book" called "The Drinking Gourd" by F.N. Monjo which is a good starting point, especially for younger kids. We just read it to Li and he really liked it.
Friday, January 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment