Thursday, November 6, 2008

Trip to Mount Desert Island (Bernard, ME) - Tuesday 9/9/08 - Friday 9/12/08


Visit to Bass Harbor Lighthouse on Wednesday 9/10/08. Katie took this photo of Li, Makana and I by the fog bell. Wolf was down on the rocks taking lighthouse photos.


Here's one of Wolf's famous Bass Harbor Lighthouse photos!


Tuesday afternoon, Jim and Li went on a lighthouse cruise. Both took lots of lighthouse photos. Li so much wanted to emulate Jim's picture taking and Jim was happy that Li wanted to spend time with him sharing his passion! This photo is of Egg Rock.


Narraguagus Island Light is another lighthouse they passed.


And here are some more lights that they saw on their cruise: Nash Island Light


Petit Manan Lighthouse


Prospect Harbor Lighthouse


And Winter Harbor Light.



After Jim and Li's cruise, we all visited the Mount Desert Oceanarium (Bar Harbor location). The kids really enjoyed the touch tank! The person giving the presentation was very informative and friendly. The kids held all kinds of sea creatures.



Jim took Makana outside to play with boats while I sat with Katie and Li for a lobsterman talk. Katie eventually left, but Li stayed and had a couple of questions for the presenter. Unfortunately, the presenter wanted to do alot of talking himself rather than answer questions. He was very interesting, however, I wish he took the time to answer questions as well.


Makana and I went out to the field to see and pet the sheep. Katie, Li and Jim went to the lobster hatchery (too stinky for me!!).

----
http://www.theoceanarium.com/barharbor.html


That night (Wednesday 9/10/08), we ate out at a little pizzeria/ice cream place in Southwest Harbor on Main Street. Makana had her favorite: a chocolate ice cream cone! Li and Katie also enjoyed some ice cream at the counter...eyeing up the big cookies and pies.


On Thursday 9/11/08, we took the Wonderland Trail to the water and explored. Excellent trail with the kids and a pregnant mom. Katie discovered barnacles eating...actually opening and closing their mouths in only one of the tidal pools! It was fascinating to watch. She and I stood there for some time just watching in amazement.


Li looks out over the water.


Kana finds a sea urchin!

A dock in Northeast Harbor. 9/11/08


Friday 9/12/08 - One of the kid's favorite things to do by the cabin was to swing on the swings. And look for Oliver kitty, the owner's cat who sometimes came by for a snack and entertained us. Makana still talks about "Oliver kitty!"


This is a photo of our wonderful cabin! It was so nice! We'd definately go back. Clean, cozy and had a washer and dryer! Excellente!!!


Later that same day (Fri 9/12/08), we drove through Acadia National Park and stopped at a beach by Gorham Mtn Trail. We used the restrooms, played on the beach and Jim and I remembered when we once climbed Gorham Mountain Trail long ago. Someday we might do it again! Li got caught in a wave and changed clothes, and then we were off for another adventure of the day!


But not before svelt Wolf picked me up for a photo op! Thanks Katie! :)


One of the kids?? must have taken this of the beautiful sky!


On Friday afternoon, we took a Diver Ed tour. Diver Ed goes under the water with a videocamera. Passengers watch a video and hear him talk about what he is finding undersea. He then brings up various sea creatures and explains about them. Although he was humorous many times, he was overboard and even humiliating I thought. We liked so much when he was just plain funny, but not when he teased. We all agreed that although the trip was partly good, we would not go on it again due to Diver Ed's personality. (He must mean well, but not know how to relate to people, esp kids, that well. What kind of upbringing or experiences did he have?!)


All the kids lined up at the back of the boat to push Diver Ed off!


Here's the video screen that we watched on the boat.


Here is a close-up of Diver Ed talking cutsie and kissing one of his finds! He had a little toy "Mini-Ed" that dove with him. He kept making Mini-Ed talk and find things and get caught, dragged, and hidden by sea animals.


Diver Ed blew up his wetsuit and acted like the Hulk. It was hilarious..until he got a little overbearing chasing and intimidating the kids! He is like a big kid himself!


Kana and I get to know one of the lobsters! We also enjoyed the star fish, crabs, hermit crabs, fish and sea cucumbers!




This part Katie did NOT like. I wasn't sure since she was smiling, but she told me she did not like it when he did this. She had said not to, but he didn't listen and then she just gave in to it. (I hope she eventually learns to speak her mind or tell me and I'll help her if I am there!)







We all learned how to make the sea star (starfish) stick to our hair. Then we pulled the seastar off.

This was cool until Diver Ed began trying to put them on the kids heads whether they said it was okay or not. Here he is doing it to Li!! Again, the kids smiled, even though they said not to do it. Diver Ed just did what he thought was funny and you can see the passengers laughing too. It was one of those situations where I wasn't sure whether or not to step in....Li might have said not to do it, but Diver Ed was persistent, and Li ended up smiling and it sort of seemed okay. I do regret not being more adamant about standing up for my children!
















He did seem to interact with Makana respectfully (except at the beginning of the trip when he shook her hand even though it was obvious at least to me that she didn't want to. Another instance where I wasn't sure whether to step in or not as she wasn't protesting where I felt I should interfere, yet I didn't think she enjoyed his persistance.) Here Diver Ed shows us one of the starfish.

No comments: